Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Long overdue - Moved house, Craft stuff and Health

Hello, I am back...after months of relative obscurity.  I have been working full time as you know and generally living life as normal.  Since the last post in May we have moved to Upper Hutt so I can be closer to work.  We found a house through one of my work collegues at the Defence Base.  We had looked at it a few months earlier but couldn't get out of the contract on the house we were in. But as luck would have it, when it came time for us to look again, some tenants were only short term and  the house was still vacant.  It a beautiful large warm brick house - in a beautiful safe established area with lots of trees.  It was definately meant to be after missing out the first time.

I have been busy crafting away and have quite a few finishes, and I know on the last post I was going to put up finishes to show...but, ok life got in the way, and I never got round to it.  I still enjoy reading peoples blogs.  May was the last post, and even that doesnt seem so long ago.

I finished the crochet cuddle pillow/cushion for my daughter...so now she has crochet heaven all over her bed in the dormitory.

The Front:

The Back:

I also finished a wall hanging for my daughter as a surprise birthday present to arrive at her school on her birthday.  I stitched Strong and Beautiful by Little House Needleworks, with major colour changes.  Nadia really loves orange, yellows, purple and green, so I thought I would change colours to suit.  Then Made the fabric frame which hangs on the wire hanger.  She loves this too...Its awesome when your craft work is appreciated.

 
Strong and Beautiful - Little House Needleworks
 

One of the main things I have been working on is The Flock by Sam Sarah Designs, and I love it.  Such a cherry design.  I order the latest installments every couple of months so that the whole thing doesnt become too overwheming.

Here is a progress shot of The Flock....  It really is a delightful stitch.


I am happy with all my finishes and being able to show you.

Now the shocking news....Those that have followed my blog over the past 7 years or so, will know I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2006.  I went through surgery, chemo, radiation and pills and was told it wouldn't come back.  I was actually given clearance last year before moving from the South Island.

A few months ago heaps of things started to happen to me...blurry vision (thougth I needed progressive glasses) so went along for an eye examination. Any blurriness would be fixed with the glasses, I was told.   Wrong.   At the same time I thought I had pulled a muscle in my back...moving boxes at work.  Went to A&E had xrays...I was losing bone condition I was told...I was put on pain killers.  And I had an enlarged lymph node in my neck...so had an ultrasound for that.   Nothing was working...I could barely drive or work, or see or move.  I demanded to see a top optician at the optometrists, who refered me to the eye dept at Wellington Hospital.  After rigourous tests,, MRI scans and everything else, cancer was detected in my back....not the spinal cord thankfully, in my shoulder (because in the meantime I had pulled that too!!) and though the brain wasnt affected by it, was causing a film behind the retinas in my eyes...hence the blurry vision.  But it is definately an offshoot of the breast cancer...we are gutted.

So far I have had a few days in hospital to combat the pain, and radiation on back, shoulder and eyes. Now I am waiting on results of a CT scan to see where or if the cancer has spread. So I have a couple of appointments over the next couple of days...one for results and then the next to see what course of chemo I will be on...yay can't wait.

Have got lots of things around the house provided from the District Health Board to help me with mobilty because the back pain can be horrendous.  But it all helps.

So thats where I am at.  I am taking each day as it comes.  Once again keeping strong for the family and keeping positive.

****One little incident that has happened since we moved into our house (we have only been here for a few weeks) I will tell you about tomorrow and show you photos.  It includes my cat and a very large tree :)

3 comments:

gatofish said...

I'm sorry about your health problems. I'm praying for you and your family. Be strong and hug the kitties!

Von said...

I'm so sad and sorry to hear of your latest struggle against that awful cancer. Please know I'm praying. With your positive attitude, you'll get through this. Hugs!!

Nicky said...

I so sorry to hear you have another battle to fight. Sending all my best wishes to you for your return to good health. Your stitching and crochet for your daughter is gorgeous, she is a lucky girl!