Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Chubby RIP

Well the heading says it all.  I haven't posted for over a month because of shifting house etc. We have been in Wellington since May 1.  Settled into our house, and I have got myself a finance job at a school.  I decided not to take the original job I was offered, and set out looking for a job myself.  Applied for one and got it.  Getting used to driving in a city again, and getting in a lot of sightseeing and shopping and then something bad happens.....

Getting ready to go to bed last Friday night and thought I had better call Chubby inside.  He called back to me, but something wasnt right.  I grabbed a torch and found him in the neighbours front yard.  He couldnt move his back legs.  He had been hit by a car.  I took him into an emergency vet - it was about 12:30 at night,  and I drove on instinct, because I am not familiar with a lot of the areas.  I got to the vets and it was confirmed he had been hit by a car, his lower back was broken.  So I said goodbye to my lovely Chubby.

I had only had him a year...but at least I gave him that year. He had sat unwanted in the SPCA after being abandoned by his owners.  I am certain he had a great last year....monstering my dog, being continually hungry and taking up most of the bed at night.  But also just being there.....

I will really miss him.

9 comments:

Lee said...

You will miss him so much, just hang on to the memories, as you said he had a good last year and your photo certainly showed a very contented animal to prove that. Take care as you settle in and find your way round the big city.

natalyK said...

Sorry to hear about Chubby. It is amazing how much they add to our lives.

Andie said...

*hugs* it sounds like Chubby really did enjoy his year with you. Hope your doing ok!

Farm Girl said...

So sorry to hear of your Chubby. It is so hard to say goodbye, especially in such an unexpected way. Take care, Nicky.

PS - It's great to hear you're settling into life in the big smoke.

gatofish said...

I'm so sorry about Chubby. My cats are my children and it breaks my heart to think you had to go through that with him. You are right, though, that you gave him a wonderful year with you and your family. My prayers are with you.

Melody said...

How very sad. I feel so bad for you. I am sure he had the best time of his life with you.

Hugs to you

HomeSweetHome said...

So sorry to your sad news....I lost a cat in a similiar way & I was devastated. But took great comfort from my many memories of her.
Take care & Thinking of you
Natalie from Norfolk
x
Letter in the post tomorrow

Stitching Noni said...

So sorry to hear about Chubby. You will miss him so much. I'm sure that his last 12 months with you were very happy and you will have some lovely memories of him.

Take care settling into a new city and look after yourself.

http://firefliescatsinthegarden.blogspot.com/

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I hope you are settling down by now and I'm so sorry to hear about your puss - I can't imagine what it must have been like. I find it upsetting just reading about it.