Monday, March 28, 2011

Close up to the wildlife

I thought I would share some photos I took at the beginning of the year because I know there are a few animal lovers who follow my blog.

At the end of January we all went on holiday down to Dunedin.  We did a bit of driving around and took a trip out to Aramoana.  This beach is known for all the sealions that laze around soaking up the sun.  Sometime the beach can get quite crowded with them, and there are signs up all over the place warning people not to go too close.  Watch from a distance and just let the Sealions do their thing.

Well imagine our surprise when we decided to park up under a tree and we saw this not far away. I couldnt work out what it was at first...

and then it clicked....

Look at the wee fella sitting there with Mumma lolling around on the grass behind.  I jumped out of the truck and started taking photos. They just kept looking cuter and cuter....

Mumma must have smelt me standing there and got up, and started slowly ambling towards me....well not that slowly, because DH was backing back by this time yelling at me to get into the truck.  So away from our nice grassy resting spot we drove and got back out onto the road.  Next minute we are being followed.....
Look at the little darling following Mumma.  She is still coming at me ...oh yes I had got out of the truck again.  But after a while of her getting closer, I knew it was time to go....when she let out a roar.....

She kept following until we finally drove away.  It was so lovely to see them up close like that.  And I guess just being parked where we were, we disturbed them enjoying time together in the grass.

 I hoped you enjoyed these photos.  I will have another stitching update for you soon.  Thanks for visiting!

2 comments:

Rowyn said...

Wow! What a fantastic experience to be chased my a sea lion. lol Awesome that you got to see a wee baby one, and you got some great photos.

Karen said...

It sounds like the Mamma Sea Lion sure was determined to chase you away lol. Hard to believe she was so persistant and even followed you in the truck. I loved the pics. Thanks for sharing them.