Sunday, October 12, 2008

Nothing stitch related...photo intensive...birds, rocks and things

Ok I warn you now....none of the following photos are stitch related...but I just had to share. Most were taken today on my trip over to Christchurch to drop my son and DH off at the airport. I took the photos on the way home to break up the 3 hour trip and to make things not so boring for my daughter. The last two were taken a couple of days ago......

Firstly I spotted a huge US airforce plane around the back of the airport so I watched it take off...






Just before Arthurs Pass which is the half way mark is Castle Hill Station, and Kura Tawhiti Conservation area. This is where some of the Chronicle of Narnia was filmed, and it is very popular with rock climbers. I decided to take a walk to see the rocks a bit closer....





Looking back to the road


Looking towards the West Coast


People who know me, know I love birds. At Arthurs Pass which is an alpine village, we have keas...they are one of our native parrots. They are mischievious birds that do heaps of damage to things because they like to pick and peck with their beaks...they especially like the rubber around car windows. There are signs everywhere to discourage people from feeding them...so they wont hang around the village. They do hang around and the tourists love them.




Eating a tissue

Eating my car!!!


After Arthurs Pass comes the Otira Gorge. The road through here used to be horrendous...a zigzag road that was very steep and narrow...

the road was replaced with the viaduct....

All this concrete is to stabilize the road and stop water washing it away

It was a slow trip home , but we finally made it.
The last 2 photos are from when I was doing the stone path, and I had a couple of visitors...a pair of ducks...they were friendly and the female was very inquisitive....(Hey Anne...these are for you )



Well thats everything....I hope those that stuck around enjoyed my photos...and I will have more stitching photos to show in a few days :)


3 comments:

Andie said...

those were great photos!
Thanks for sharing them :D

Aussie Stitcher said...

Love the scenery photos, beautiful.

Rowyn said...

Great photos, love the Kea :-)