Thursday, October 12, 2006

A quick post

Just realised I hadnt posted in a while...hopefully people didnt think I had fallen of the face of the earth.

I have almost recovered from my surgery, but out hitting the streets again with my dog (I was getting so bored sitting around inactive). I get a bit tired at the end of my walk, but I enjoy being outside so much.

Had 2 more trips to Christchurch in the time I have posted. The first was to see a radiation oncologist, who told me what treatment has been planned for me. I am going to have chemotherapy, which I am not thrilled about for obvious reasons, but if it mops up any hidden cancer cells, I am all for it. Then I will was radiation, and then a 5 years course of drugs. All these things together have a benefit that add up to 93% chance of never getting cancer again, so its worth while.

The 2nd trip was yesterday to see the medical oncologist who organises the chemotherapy. I think it is starting next week....yuuuuuuuuukkkkkkkk!!!!!!!
I have been given info on the drugs I will be given, and I have been given extra pills to counteract the nausea. I can hardly wait for all this to start. I feel like a drug dealer.

I didnt have morning sickness through any of my pregnancies, so I am unsure of what will happen. I tend to feel sick when I am nervous about things and I know I wont be as bad as the nausea I had in hospital. At least I wont be stuck in a hospital bed. And if the anti-nausea pills don't work, they will try other ones. I will have chemo every 3 weeks...for 6 treatments, so there will be a big poster put somewhere and I will mark of the days (like preparing for a holiday when I was younger)...hey I might go and find a ticker thingymajig.

My hair will fall out shortly after the first treatment, so I am trying to organise myself for head coverings...scarves, a wig and hats. Maybe a paper bag will suffice :)

After chemo finishes I have a month off, and then start on radiation for 4 weeks, but that wont be till next year, so I wont worry about that at present.

Stitching....what is that????? Knitting....same question. I have been hopeless in these departments, can't concentrate and havent really had time. But I have planted all this years vege seeds into pots in my greenhouse, so at least we can eat.

I am going to get into gear and do some stitching/knitting so at least I remember the basics. I will let you into a secret, no concentration is brought about by broken nights sleeps. I have been thrown into early menopause and suffer from shocking night sweats. I dont really get many hot flushes during the day. I wake almost every 2 hours. I am trying to get on top of it by not having caffiene in the afternoons or nights, no alcohol, no spicy food and lots of water and walking. I think its working. I am not waking as often or as hot.

Well after that tantilising piece of information I will leave you with a photo of 2 rhododendron trees in the section next door. They tower over a tiny miners cottage - you can just see the brown roof by the fence. The trees are gorgeous...there are a lot of them around Reefton. And I will try to post more often :)


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

5 comments:

Rowyn said...

Hi Margaret. Good to hear you are feeling well enough to go out walking. I wish you well for the chemo, it must be a frightening prospect - but hopefully well worth it for a 93% chance of it disappearing for good. Sending hugs your way.

Anonymous said...

All the very best for your treatment - hopefully you'll be one of those people who tolerate it well and it will all be over before you know it. I just love that picture of the rhodo trees. Amazing!

abeautifulcraft said...

Hi Margaret, will be thinking of you through your treatment ... keep thinking positive and let us know how you are. You're in my prayers!!! Hugs

Von said...

More prayers that the chemo will have few bad effects, but will eradicate the cancer! Lots of hugs on their way to you!

vee said...

Hi! I came across your blog while reading Anne's blog and I just wanted to wish you well in your medical issues. All the best!