Sunday, August 27, 2006

Not the flashest of news

It has been almost a week since we went over to Christchurch for the results of my operation. I as still coming to terms with the news.

First of all I was told the area removed was good with plenty of clear margins. The orignal lump was removed and has been sent to England, just to be totally certain what it is and that it is still harmless. Now the news....in the area removed, there has been found a small cancer. What I had before the operation was termed 'pre-cancer' but some cancer has also been found in the area.

So now I have to go back for more surgery...they want to remove an even bigger margin and also take some of the lymph nodes out from under my arm. Which means from now on for the rest of my lfe I have to be careful not to scratch the arm, or get it sunburnt or bitten by insects. The lymph nodes remove bacteria and other harmful agents, so I can not overload the ones under that arm or else my arm will swell up...not very common these days...so it means having antibiotics on hand at all times.

Because of all this, now before the radiation, I have to have 6 months of Chemotherapy. At least this can be done in Greymouth which is 50 minutes away. It is once every 3 weeks, to allow the body to get over each dose. I will lose my hair. For me that is so revolting, but I know it will grow back, and I have to keep in mind, that the hair loss is only temporary, and the treatment causing it, will make me better. The chemo is a still a way off yet. The surgery will be in the next couple of weeks and the results of that will say what happens after that and when.

I have even dragged out the wool stash to have a go at knitting some hats for when I do lose my hair. At least the majority of it will happen over summer, but I will still be hairless, when the weather starts to cool again next Autumn.

I am still knittting my cardi...allbeit slowly now.

Thankyou for all the best wishes so far...they means a lot :)

12 comments:

Kerry said...

Margaret - sending you lots of hugs. It seems to me that you're allowed all the time you need to come to terms with this. Thinking of you.

TwistedCandles said...

Lots of hugs and prayers coming your way, Margaret.

Kim said...

Finding cancer not the best of news, but catching and treating it early is. I have every faith that you will come through this wonderfully! And I believe you will set a new trend with all the beautiful hats you will make!

Best wishes and stay strong, you are *never* alone in dealing with this. ((hugs))

abeautifulcraft said...

Am thinking of you and sending you all the positive thoughts I can .... biggest of huggles .....

Singular Stitches said...

Oh, Margaret, you are in my thoughts, and I'm sending over the best karma I can to you.

*HUG*

Von said...

Thanks for giving us an update on your surgery and treatment. It does sound like they've caught this early. My dd's mil, went through all this a couple of years ago. She received a drug after the chemo treatment and she never missed a beat - kept up with all her daughter's baseball games, everything! She had several really cute hats and she looked great, and is still doing very well two years after her treatments.

I'm sure you'll do just as well! I'll be praying for you and sending you cyber hugs. :D {{{{Margaret}}}}

Susan said...

Hats, scarves and wigs . . . all ways of dealing with the effects of chemo. The good news is they found it now, though, and not when it was too late. Big hugs from a total stranger, whose mom and two best friends have been through this and so I empathize strongly.

May Britt said...

A big hug from Norway. Stay strong.

Ribbonwiz said...

Hi Margaret.
I came by through Sandie's blog..
you are in my thoughts, and a big hug from me in West Aussie..

crazyQstitcher said...

Margaret, I hope your treatment brings permanent healthy results. Positive thoughts and hugs flying over to you, Maureen

Di said...

Margaret - we've never spoken or chatted before but my thoughts are with you. I know a little of what you are going through as my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer last year. Thinking of you

Mandy said...

The very best of wishes to you. We haven't spoken before - I came to your Blog through "A beautiful Craft". You are very much in my thoughts. Keep positive and do have fun with those hats.