Sunday, July 02, 2006

The feeling that time stands still

Its been a while since I added an entry here. I actually wasnt sure whether to put anything about my health on the blog since it is so public. But I guess my health is my life, just like my stitching and crafts, my family and pets.

I went to Christchurch for biopsys and I have the results. 2 years ago, I found a lump in my breast, I had biopsys for it and it was fine. I could have it removed or left in. Decided to leave it, but seeing I have lost 17 kilos over the last 2 1/2 years, the lump felt like it was getting bigger. Went and saw a surgeon, who was happy to remove the lump, but he suggested having a mammogram before hand just incase anything else might be there, that needs to be removed. Well that opened a new can of worms. The old lump is fine, but in the same breast, some calcifications were found. These are what I had to have the biopsys for. Results show that I have a DCIU....which is ductal carcinoma in situ. But it is of high grade. So what it comes down to, is I have a small amount of cancer in one of the breast ducts, but it is in one spot, but because it is high grade....it could grow or spread. So I have to go to Christchurch, to have the area removed. That will be checked, and I may have more surgery, removal of lymph nodes, and even radiation, depending on the findings. I am hoping, that once the yukky area is taken out....thats it. The area is at pre lump stage, which means it cant be felt, so I have to have a small wire inserted to show the surgeon what area to take out. But thats a bonus, many cancers are picked up at lump stage, and sometimes that is too late.

I actually got my results the day before I went to see a surgeon, so I was able to sit in stunned silence for several hours the night before, and then when I saw the surgeon, I was fairly clear headed, and I could take in what he told me. The next thing is to wait to hear from the surgeon in Christchurch who will operate, Im not sure when she will contact me, early this coming week I hope.

I have had lots of wonderful well wishes from my stitchNZ yahoo group and that means so much to me. I know a few of them have blogs, and read mine.

I am going to remain positive, well as positive as humanly possible, and fight this thing. I have been told to throw myself into my stitching...believe me that is not a problem. DH has been at home on leave, so has been fussing...and the bosses have told him he can have what ever time he needs off.

I have been knitting and stitching, so will have some progress photos soon.

Some good news...we havent had rain for about 2 weeks...we have had lots of cold frosty mornings and sunny days though. Its been much the same around the South Island, but so unusual for us not to have rain. Another gem of information, we have been here 1 year already, time goes fast and its hard to believe.

Also thank you for all the kind words and thoughts over Harwoods passing....I really miss her still. Oh and the stomach thing eventually passed. Still don't know what it was...a bug of some description, I guess.

7 comments:

Stitchingnow said...

I will keep good thoughts for you and everyone is right about the stitching. It will keep your mind ocupied.

Von said...

I'm so sorry to hear you are having to go through this. {{{hugs}}}
I've had several friends go through this whole scenario too, and each one has been successfully treated and is in good health now. I'll be praying that you have the same outcome!

Nicki said...

Sending lots of good thoughts your way. I'm really sorry you're having to go through this but it sounds very positive with it being caught so early. You'll need something big and complicated to stitch that you have to concentrate hard on to take your mind off things. Let us know how things go :) {{{hugs}}}

Andie said...

{{{{{hugs}}}}} Maggie, thinking of you daily. Keep us up to date, we care about you!

Andie

abeautifulcraft said...

Hey Margaret ... I should have popped in here first before writing to you! You are in good hands .... and are lucky .. so lucky it has been discovered now... and not in lump form. I can only imagine the stunned silence and the emotions and feelings you must have/are going through .... I'm thinking of you and sending you lots of positive thoughts ..... biggest of hugs and loads of love .. Sandie

Rowyn said...

Sending you lots of good wishes. Hope you'll keep us updated. ((hugs))

TwistedCandles said...

Finding it that early is a HUGE plus and bodes very well in regards to treatment options and everything else. Sounds like you're in good hands too with your doctor, which is just as important as catching it early. Best of luck!